Pages

Wild Horses at Theodore Roosevelt National Park

Exploring Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota I rounded a curve and found the road blocked by several wild horses. The park is home to a herd of approximately 70-110 horses. Normally, they are seen at a great distance through binoculars. I didn't mind the wait for this small herd to clear the road. I'd seen wild horses, but never this close! 


Theodore Roosevelt National Park is one of the few national parks were visitors may see wild horses on the open range. They are truly awesome animals with an independent spirit that sets them apart from domestic horses.


Hard to believe that prior to 1971 these horses were considered a nuisance and ranchers sought to capture or exterminate these beautiful animals. As I took these pics the grey horse with the black tail snorted, stomped his foot, and glared at me. 


In 1970 the National Park Service recognized these horses as part of the historical setting. The NPS enacted new policies preserve and manage the herd. During this stop I understood that I was the intruder here and kept a respectful distance. They were already skittish about my presence and the last thing I wanted to do was to spook them.


The temperature was over 100 degrees that day and certainly hotter from the heat radiating up from the pavement. Under that burning sun, the Wicked Witch from the Wizard of Oz came to mind, "I.m melting, I'm melting!" Still. this was a once in a lifetime opportunity for me and I wanted to savor every moment. 


Finally, small group moved off the road and I slowly cruised by. I was careful to give the horses a wide berth so as not to frighten or disturb them. I slowly rode away, thankful for this rare opportunity that many park visitors do not experience.