Pages

KLR650 at Mystical Horizons

I really enjoy discovering weird little road side attractions and Mystical Horizons certainly qualifies. I spotted this sign (below) along the highway and turned to follow the tree lined road up a steep hill.  I was blissfully ignorant of where I was going and half expected "Mystical Horizons" to be an exclusive, gated, housing development where "bikers" were not welcome! I was way off about that...


The site is intended as a 21st century "Stonehenge of the Prairie." It is located on a high bluff with an amazing view of the farmland west of the Turtle Mountains in North Dakota, just south of the Canadian border. I have never visited the actual Stonehenge, but I understand the place has a "mystical" feel to it. Mystical Horizons did not provide any mystical feelings even though I was the only person up there. Could be that I am not "sensitive" to that sort of thing, but I did appreciate the view.


I took several pictures, hoping to capture the view. This (above) shot was the best, but does not begin to do justice to the tremendous sight of the flat prairie stretching out to the horizon.


The stone and cement structures were built to allow visitors to see the summer and winter solstices and the equinox. The central viewing area's front wall slots align with other slotted walls to show these annual celestial events. My visit was in September, so I did not see the place "in action."



These pics were taken in the afternoon, but I returned after dark to try the North Star Polaris Sighting Tube. At first glance the sighting tube resembles a telescope, but it is simply a metal tube. Looking through it, there was the North Star near the 4 o'clock position.
.

Even in the dark, with no lights in the area, I did not get any "mystical" or other feelings and was a bit disappointed with that. I expected something a little "creepy", similar to what I described during my ghost town visit in an earlier post. Perhaps I was jaded since ancient people did not construct this site for some mysterious, mystical, purpose.


The giant sun dial was interesting. But, with only occasional, weak, sunshine during my visit, I could not see the sun dial working. That was fine since I have a small clock mounted on the KLR if I need to know the time. Still, I was reminded of why humanity stopped making sun dials and invented Timex!  


Mystical Horizons was an odd, but interesting find in the middle of the North Dakota prairie. I rode away thinking that I would like to return during the solstice to see the sun shining through those slotted walls for my self.