Pages

You Meet the Nicest People On A KLR


When I am out-and-about on the KLR, I really enjoy meeting new people and riding the KLR makes that easy. The last few days at Theodore Roosevelt National Park are a perfect example. At least a dozen strangers have gone out of their way to come over and ask about my bike. We started talking as strangers and parted company as friends, all because of a KLR650.

One old gentleman was getting into his van when I pulled up and parked beside him. He looked over at me and got back out of his vehicle to look at my bike. We chatted a bit, and he pulled out his copy of Riding the World by Gregory Frazier; "Got a great deal on it at a thrift store," he proudly told me. We talked about dual sport bikes and trail riding for over an hour, before shaking hands as friends and going our separate ways. 

Several other curious and friendly folks crossed a street or a parking lot to get a better look and ask, "What kind of motorcycle is that?" Naturally, I am always more than happy to tell them. They always remark, "Cool bike," or "Looks like a lot of fun to ride," or, "I am gonna get me one of those." Of course, I agree that is exactly what they should do!

I have met many other KLR riders; or their brother, dad, cousin, or buddy, have a KLR and love it. They love to swap stories about their bikes; where they have been, where they want to go, where and how they dumped, and how the KLR compares to other dual sport bikes. The conversation very often ends with us agreeing the KLR is a great and how we could not imagine riding anything else.
One afternoon I stopped at a campground to use the "facilities" and stretch my legs. A young man doing clean up work at the campground came over to me. I thought he was gonna ask if I was camping there, since I was obviously just "hanging around." Instead, he stopped and stared at my KLR and said, "My dad has that exact bike. He tried teaching me to ride on it, but it was too much." That led us to a long, friendly, conversation about the best bike to learn on, before moving over to a KLR. My quick bathroom break turned into another extended stop, but that was fine with me.

I enjoy meeting people and I love talking about KLRs; mine, yours, your dad's, cousin's, or your brother's. So, if you see me and my bike stopped somewhere, don't hesitate to come on over and say hello. The KLR is a great conversation starter and when the conversation ends we won't be strangers anymore.