Pages

Wire Harness Issues

Some older model year KLRs are known to have wiring issues. Whether you bought a new or used KLR take time to carefully inspect your bike's wire harness. I learned this the hard way while stranded in a raging thunderstorm.


The bike was running perfectly when in a turn it died. Nothing worked, no lights, no horn, nothing. After getting soaked in a storm and nearly eaten alive by mosquitoes, I found the main fuse had blown. I replaced it and turned the key. The fuse blew immediately.


This is looking forward on the RH side of the bike, with side panel off

I trailered her back to the garage and removed the panels, gas tank and seat. I soon found a wire bundle chaffed on the horn bracket. I repaired the wiring, repositioned the wire bundle and with a new fuse, life was good again.  Next, I went ahead and inspected the entire wire harness. Under the seat were a couple of more chaffed areas. I removed the windshield and found a couple of more in the front fairing. Finally, I went over the entire bike and "armored" the wire harness.


Before heading out for summer adventure, take some time and inspect your bike's wiring. This would also be a good time to armor your wire harness. I used plastic cable sleeve and it has worked well. When that's done, pack the appropriate size fuses, a roll of electrical tape and find where the fuses are located on the bike. Don't let a preventable electrical issue ruining a great day of riding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!